Lead Software Engineer with a focus on architecting successful web and mobile experiences. Specializing in front-end technologies, I deliver customer value through leadership and collaborative roles: as an individual contributor, technical lead, and counsel for stakeholders. I enjoy providing technical mentorship and stay current with tools and patterns. I approach challenges with engaging energy and passion.
Sr. Software Engineer
2019 – Current | Boston, MA
React Native, React-Native-Testing-Library, TypeScript, Bitrise.io
Worked across multiple prescription digital therapeutic (PDT) mobile apps (iOS / Android) and the mobile platform team as both individual contributor and as team lead. Followed the engineering practices of Software as a Medical Device (SaMD), ensuring high quality and auditable code while also focusing on value-based delivery. Co-organized and led the first two annual engineering-wide hackathons organizer for monthly Tech Talks. Hackathon produced a self-service site for internal accounts and PoC investigations that facilitated future permanent work; increasing visibility of these efforts and the cross-functional teamwork has lasting effects.
- Mobile Platform Engineer Primary contributor to the set of shared libraries used by the other Pear apps. Functionality includes common utility classes for managing state and syncing that with the services, customizable and themable UI components, and a UI flow for the Login experience. Maintained these libraries with ReactNative and RN Nav upgrades, including refactoring large classes to functional components with React Hooks and facilitating app-teams' implementation. Led an app-team collaboration requiring new core components; crafted implementation strategy and tackled the most complex stories with composable components.
- Platform Engineer Consolidated requirements and solutions into a detailed RFC defining how to incrementally move users to new auth microservices while servicing older mobile clients; created diagrams to align on use cases and tracked aggregate platform-consumer functionality matrix in chart depicting implementation team and pattern. Increased event retention and enabled debugging of malformed events; led to visibility and fix of a prod defect. Saved dozens of hours of cross-functional time by enabling safe data mutation of user app progress.
- Tech Lead Responsible for coordinating code delivery, quality, and providing techincal estimates for full-stack React Native app with 3 other engineers. Working with product and design to set appropriate requirements. Delivered properly functioning app to app stores on time for study participants.
- Chair of Employee Engagement Council Led the employee resource group to enhance the employee experience. Worked cross-functionally, with executive team (C-suite), leadership team (VPs), and all employees, to ensure the collective and underserved voices are heard. Proposed solution recommendations to leadership based on aligned goals. Allocated EEC funds to create opportunities for shared experiences and relief for common stressors in this unusal time.
General Electric | GE Digital
Sr. Software Engineer
2016 – 2019 | Boston, MA
ES6, Polymer, WebSockets, NodeJS, CI/CD, Agile, Domain Modeling, Docker, AngularJS, ProUI, Bash scripting, Markdown documentation
For an IIOT monitoring dashboard app that minimized machine down time, delivered complex features in a timely manner, independently and through collaboration, with utmost attention to quality. Exemplified best practices from coding patterns to agile methodologies. Translated requirements into manageable stories with clear and complete acceptance criteria, raising discussions early if needed. Ensured quality by writing unit and system tests for use in CI/CD workflow. Consistently created useful graphical and text-based documentation.
Mentored software engineers and presented on modern UI frameworks and patterns through the use of interactive programming session.
- Community thought leader and advocate SME across teams for UI frameworks and patterns
- Feature lead Led UI development of feature on open source shared component library: px-data-table
- Team contributor Focusing on group success, I drove inclusive discussions; improved maintainability with useful documentation and code reviews
- Independent feature delivery Implemented complex features and refactorings; added in-depth E2E tests and UI/UX designs
Publicis.Sapient | Sapient Consulting
Sr. Interactive Developer, L2
2013 – 2016 | Boston, MA
ES6, D3.js, AngularJS, Aurelia, Agile, JSPM, NodeJS, Continuous Integration, Hexagonal Architecture (server-side), Domain-Driven Development, Domain Modeling, JIRA
UI lead and front-end developer with aptitude for team dynamics, group coordination, and process efficiencies.
Awarded recognition for Client-Focused Delivery after client feedback on project when leading UI development with recently self-taught technology.
Years of experience in UI lead role, conducting engaging presentations, and as technical liaison for client and internal domain teams. Enforced code quality using best practices such as John DePapa's style guide and BEM on Agile projects. Self-motivated and driven: exemplified by creation of D3.js library and initiation of effective team-building program. Advocated for code stability through unit, integration, functional, or automated visual-diff testing.
- Autonomous and motivated Created reusable d3.js charting library between projects
- Quickly learned and utilized new technology From Backbone to AngularJS and Aurelia
2012 – 2013 | Boston, MA
Implemented significant contributions to interactive retirement planning tool, turning complex business logic into an engaging user experience.
Initiated suite of unit tests to prevent recurring defects. Reached cross-browser functionality with collaborative discussions.
- Drove consistent quality with unit test suite
- Created dynamic visualizations for retirement income projections
Innerscope Research Inc.
Interactive Developer, L2
2009 – 2012 | Boston, MA
Architected, implemented, and optimized dynamic internal web sites under tight time constraints. Increased efficiency through process refinement and custom application development; reduced bottle-necks. Satisfied clients by researching technical solutions, advising on options, and implementing solutions. Effectively managed graphic design interns with clear instruction and judicious direction; initiated the graphic design intern program, complete with cumulative curriculum. Conceptualized, designed, and coordinated delivery of graphical needs: marketing material, graphical information, and interactive experiences.
Graphic Designer & Process Engineer
2007 – 2009 | Canton, MA
AppleScript, HTML, XML, CSS, PHP, FileMaker Pro, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Bridge
Improved efficiency and accuracy of artwork-data workflow by authoring scripts to remove repetitive tasks. Initiated projects to enhance data communication across groups. Saved resources by in-house development of a dynamic departmental website for collateral viewing and organization; crafted simple update process with existing database. Designed and built image- and data-intensive catalogs; coordinated and automated catalog production.
Non-profit Intake App: AHOPE / Boston Public Health Commission
NestJS, TypeORM, Azure Cloud products, ReactJS 15.1.x, Redux, PostgresQL, Google Cloud, Parse, WebSockets, Material-UI, Google OAuth, ES6, Babel, Open source, GitHub Projects
2018 – Present
Leading a team to create an patient intake app for a local non-profit harm reduction center called AHOPE who is managed by BPHC . Ascertaining and documenting requirements from business stakeholders. Bringing together experts (domain, UX, legal, medical, technical) and driving consensus. Managing a small group of software engineers who are mostly donating time for this project: ensuring coordinated efforts, timely delivery, and continued engagement. Utilizing GitHub projects to achieve agile development, stay focused on MVP and keep stakeholders informed.
- Form submission, profile search, profile update, and aggregation reports
- Transitioned from Firebase to Google Cloud Services to Microsoft Azure based on updated IAM requirements.
- Backend completely rebuilt with NestJS, previously Google Firebase then Parse (with MongoDB)
- Secure sign-in using Microsoft Azure
PMC Auction App
ReactJS 15.1.x, Redux, WebSockets, Firebase.io, Material-UI, Google OAuth, ES6, Babel, Domain Modeling, Trello, ESLint, Webpack
2016 – 2018
From concept through development to processing results, this live-bidding auction and raffle ticket web app exceeded expectations — raising over $5000 for charity. Working with one other developer, we started with domain models, UX whiteboarding, framework choices, and hosting discussions.
Try the demo-version using dummy data.
- Live bidding: websockets, React / Redux
- Secure sign-in using Google OAuth
- Enforced business logic (bidding rules) in UI and Mid-Tier
- Database and hosting using Firebase.io
React Advanced Composition Patterns Workshop
2021 | Online Workshop by React Training
An interactive series of lessons and practice sessions covering the breadth of patterns for appropriate design of customization and prop passing for a component. Lessons included: prop drilling, React Hooks' ContextAPI, and component composition.
I provided Pear engineers with an internal interactive presentation, complete with code examples.
React Hooks Workshop
2019 | Online Workshop by React Training
An interactive series of lessons and practice sessions covering best practices for React Hooks, including use and code design for optimization. Lessons included: ContextAPI, Effect Hook, and State Hook.
I provided Pear engineers with an internal interactive presentation, complete with code examples.
2012 – 2013 | Stanford University Online
Enriched and expanded skills and understanding with classes: Introduction to Python, Model Thinking, Software Engineering for SaaS. Courses included homework, lectures, and quizzes/exams.
Topics covered: Python, Ruby on Rails, SQL, Amazon Web Services, version control with GIT, and cloud deployment with Heroku. Earned a certificate of completion for listed classes.
Harvard Extension School
Mobile Operating Systems and Applications
2013 – 2013 | Cambridge, MA
Deep dive into hardware and software underlying Android and iOS operating sytems. Covered spectrum of mobile landscape and considerations for design/development of web, native wrappers, and native apps. Final project: Android "deck of cards" workout app.
Rochester Institute of Technology
Bachelor, Industrial Design
2001 – 2005 | Rochester, NY
BFA in Industrial Design, GPA 3.84, highest honors.
AAS in Graphic Design.
Concentration in conversational French. Technical concentrations in Mechanical and Manufacturing Technology.
2-day JS Mobile Conference Attendee
JS Mobile Conf
2018 & 2019 | Boston, MA
It was funded by Progress Software, and therefore had a bias towards NativeScript, but it also covered other cross-platform and web technologies, such as ReactNative and PWAs.
2019 workshop notes
2018 workshop notes
Fitness Group Co-leader
November Project, Boston
2014 – 2015 | Boston, MA
November Project is a free-fitness movement with "tribes" in 30+ cities across the world, with Boston as the origin.
Developed comfort, ease, and power when speaking and writing for a large audience. Inspired self and others while designing, leading, coaching, and documenting workouts for 150-1500 athletes of all abilities. With co-leaders, cultured strong relationships that included feedback cycles.
2015 | Boston, MA
Engaged developers in an immersive and interactive two-night class: Introduction to D3.js. Presented using a follow-along slide deck with individually-editable code examples.
Running Club Co-leader and Webmaster
The Most Informal Running Club Ever (TMIRCE)
2010 – 2011 | Boston, MA
Cultivated welcoming community of runners through attitude modeling and directing activities. Provided club necessities and member benefits through successfully managed sponsor relationships without losing sight of integrity. Positioned club for success with engaging presentation of its social impact.